When you hear “School Shooting,” naturally you think about things like Newtown, Columbine, and Virginia Tech. The gun grabbers like to exploit that thinking in order to pretend that there is a serious problem with mass murder in schools.
A new report says North Carolina is fourth in the nation for the number of school shootings since the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut two years ago.
Everytown for Gun Safety and Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America released the information Wednesday. They say there have been at least 95 school shootings in 33 states around the country. The data was collected for incidents that occurred at colleges, as well as K-12 schools.
Six of the shootings were in North Carolina, including a shooting at Salisbury High School in February 2014, and at Carver High School in Winston-Salem in August 2013.
“That’s not a ranking that any parent, any student, any principal, any teacher wants to see that we have the 4th most school shootings in the country,” says Jackie Holcombe, a volunteer with Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America.
They forgot to point out that Jackie Holcombe is a “volunteer” for Moms Demand Illegal Mayors for Everytown, a wholly owned subsidiary of Michael Bloomberg, Inc, only because she no longer has a job being mayor of Morrisville, NC. She pissed off the gun owners and GRNC led the charge to vote her out of office.
So let’s take a look at these SchoolShootings™. Are they incidents of mass murder and mayhem?
4/13/2013 Elizabeth City, NC Elizabeth City State University
ELIZABETH CITY, N.C. – A 23-year-old student has been released from the hospital after being shot near a residence hall on the Elizabeth City State University campus Saturday.
Police officers patrolling the campus on foot responded to Butler Hall late Saturday about 9:30 p.m. after hearing gunshots. They found the student with a gunshot wound, a news release from the university said. Elizabeth City police also responded because there were officers on campus assisting with security for a concert that was taking place at the Robert L. Vaughan Center.
The student was taken to Albemarle Hospital, treated and released, according to ECSU.
No arrests have been made, but police said that the shooting was in retaliation for a fight that had occurred earlier in the evening at Butler Hall. The university did not say in the news release whether any suspects in the shooting had been identified.
University counselors will be available for students in Butler Hall today and students may also make appointments with counselors this week.
Increased security measures are also in place for the remainder of the semester, the university news release said. Students, faculty and staff should have their university ID cards with them at all times.
Following the shooting, the campus was placed on lockdown and visitors were eventually required to leave, the university news release said. With the exception of the concert at the Vaughan Center, all other events on Saturday night were canceled. Once the concert ended, attendees were routed away from the crime scene.
Shortly before 11 p.m., the campus lockdown was lifted.
This was the second lockdown at ECSU this week. On Thursday night, the campus was placed on lockdown about 11 p.m. after a report of shots fired on campus. No injuries were reported and the university said later that the shots were fired by someone who was not on the campus but in a wooded area east of the university. The lockdown was lifted less than two hours later.
No mass mahem. Not even an injury.
8/30/2013 Winston-Salem, NC Carver High School
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — A Winston-Salem student pleaded guilty today to shooting another teen at Carver High School last August.
(Suspect), who was 18 at the time of the shooting, was sentenced in Forsyth County Superior Court to between two years and three years, two months in prison.
He was also placed on supervised probation for three years.
He was convicted of carrying a concealed weapon, possession of a firearm on school property, assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury and discharging a firearm within city limits.
According to eyewitnesses and police, the shooting happened outside of the school building at the end of a scheduled fire drill. Officer Tim Wilson, a school resource officer assigned to Carver, called in the shooting.
Wilson, a 25-year police veteran, saw the shooting and arrested the suspect without incident, Chief Barry Rountree said at a news conference on the day of the incident.
According to police, (Victim), 15, was shot with a .38-caliber handgun. A witness said four or five shots were fired. Police said that the shooting stemmed from an on-going dispute between (Victim) and (Suspect).
A contingent of 30 to 60 police officers responded to the scene and officers delayed traffic in front of Carver High School. Carver officials followed the district’s lockdown procedures for its schools immediately after the shooting.
Police set up an area at nearby Russell Community Center where parents could pick up their children. Authorities allowed school buses one at a time to pick up riders, so police could account for every student.
School officials released students to their parents or buses about 4:15 p.m. that day, and students were patted down before getting on buses.
A Carver home football game that was scheduled that night against Reynolds High School was postponed.
(Suspect) had previously been convicted of bringing a knife to school during the 2011-12 school year while attending Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. From court records, it appears (Suspect) enrolled in Carver High School the following year.
On Dec. 14, 2012, (Suspect) was arrested and charged with carrying a concealed gun and possession of marijuana. He was accused of having a .25-caliber handgun.
Then in January 2013, (Suspect) was charged with misdemeanor second-degree trespassing and resisting a public officer.
According to court records, he was accused of trespassing on property in the 1000 block of 15th Street that belonged to the Housing Authority of Winston-Salem. He was also accused of failing to stop when a police officer told him to do so.
At the time, he was a sophomore at Carver High School.
That May, as part of a plea arrangement, (Suspect) pleaded guilty in Forsyth District Court to the charge of carrying a concealed weapon, and Assistant District Attorney Aaron Berlin voluntarily dismissed the other charges.
Forsyth District Judge Victoria Roemer gave (Suspect) a suspended sentence of 45 days in jail and placed him on 18 months of unsupervised probation. Roemer ordered the handgun be destroyed.
(Victim) was involved in the 2011 beating of Rickie Wilson, a 58-year-old man with learning disabilities. At the time, prosecutors requested that (Victim) be tried as an adult, but a judge denied that request.
It was recommended that (Victim) spend a minimum of six months at a locked juvenile training center.
A fine pair of individuals.
The victim was convicted for previous offenses as a juvenile and did not have an adult criminal record.
11/2/2013 Greensboro, NC North Carolina A&T State University
GREENSBORO — A review of footage from N.C. A&T’s closed circuit cameras may answer questions about the campus shooting that took place late Saturday during homecoming weekend.
Greensboro police spokeswoman Susan Danielsen said police have the recordings, but would give no further details.
“There is surveillance footage, which we can’t release or talk about, from an investigative standpoint,” Danielsen said. “The content may help us find the people responsible for the shooting.”
A&T junior Devine Eatmon, 21, was shot at about 10 p.m. Saturday. The campus was placed on lockdown for about two hours.
Danielsen said police continue to search for four men in connection with the shooting, based on information from witnesses.
Information distributed by police the night of the shooting describe the number of armed men, but do not give specific, identifiable physical details.
Police have said that the shooting isn’t connected to an Oct. 29 shooting that occurred at Bluford and Regan streets, just a few blocks west of the homecoming incident.
Police said the man shot during homecoming festivities was about 50 yards away from the suspects.
“(Eatmon) was not the intended target,” Greensboro Police Capt. Mike Richey said.
Eatmon was shot near the Bluford Street Circle, just south of the residence halls known as Aggie Village. There were several clusters of people nearby at the time, Richey said.
The Greensboro department is heading the investigation of Saturday’s shooting at the request of campus police.
Eatmon is from Whitakers, approximately 20 miles north of Rocky Mount. He has been released from Moses Cone Hospital, where he was treated for a gunshot wound, said Samantha Hargrove, director of media relations for A&T.
Hargrove would not comment on whether Eatmon will receive time off or any other accommodation from his classes because of the injury.
A&T had additional police and security officers on campus for homecoming weekend. Following the shooting, the university increased patrols, Hargrove said. The exact number of officers the university added for the weekend was not immediately available.
The university does not think it needs to improve security for the school on a daily basis, Hargrove said. However, it will take steps to increase safety at the school for future homecoming celebrations.
“We view this as an isolated incident,” Hargrove said.
The last shooting on the A&T campus occurred in 2001, according to Hargrove.
A News & Record article of the account states that a 21-year-old man shot an A&T student in the chest during a dormitory cookout. The shooting victim survived.
I couldn’t find a story saying that they had located any suspects.
2/10/2014 Salisbury, NC Salisbury High School
SALISBURY, N.C. —A 17-year-old is being held under a $1 million bond after being accused of shooting a high school freshman in Salisbury.
(Suspect) of Salisbury is charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, possession of a firearm on school property and discharging a weapon on school property. It’s not known if he has an attorney.
Salisbury High School student (Victim) told the Salisbury Post that he was trying to break up a fight in the school gymnasium on Monday when he was shot in the stomach. The 16-year-old was treated and released after several hours at the hospital.
Investigators say the shooting happened during a fight between two groups, including some students. It is believed to have stemmed from a weekend fight.
Neither suspect nor victim had adult criminal records in the NC DOC database
9/30/2014 Albermarle, NC Abermarle High School
ALBEMARLE, N.C. — An Albemarle teenager shot twice by a fellow student is still in serious condition, one week after the campus shooting. The attorney for (Victim) and his family says the 16 year old has a long road ahead of him. Medically, he says (Victim) hasn’t improved much over the past seven days.
“Still facing a long road from a medical stand point,” said Ken Harris, (Victim)’s family attorney. “He sustained profound injuries in the incident, and it’s going to be a long time before his medical situation resolves.”
Harris wouldn’t elaborate on (Victim)’s injuries, just that it’s a tough situation for him and his family. They’ve been by his side in Charlotte, since the shooting.
(Victim) was shot one week ago before class at Albemarle Senior High School. Police say (Suspect) shot him twice, then turned the gun over, and waited for police. Some speculate bullying led to the argument and shooting, but (Victim)’s attorney says it’s too early to say.
“I don’t think there’s been any confirmation at this point that this is a bullying situation,” said Harris. “I’m not saying that that won’t happen. I’m saying it’s very early in the investigation, and investigators have not reached that conclusion at this point.”
Harris says his firm is concerned about the school system and whether it did everything necessary to protect its students following reports (Suspect) was involved in another incident at a different school.
Time Warner Cable News reached out to Stanly County Schools, but never received a call back.
Albemarle Police Chief William Halliburton says the department has no comment on the bullying reports tied to this shooting, and they will not release any 911 calls from last Tuesday until the district attorney’s office has time to review them.
“Devastating for both families,” said Harris. “Of course, you expect your child will come home safely. And that’s our role, to make sure everything was done to protect those students.”
Harris says it could be months before they decide if there will be any civil action. In the meantime, Miller’s family asks for privacy as their teenager recovers.
Neither the suspect nor the victim’s names appear in the DOC database.
10/8/2014 Elizabeth City, NC Elizabeth City State University
ELIZABETH CITY, N.C. (WAVY) – Police arrested the man who is accused of firing a gun Wednesday near the center of Elizabeth City State University’s campus.
(Suspect), 24, faces five charges of possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, going armed to terror of public, discharging a gun on educational property (a felony) and gun on educational property (another felony), according to officers.
University police said no one was hurt and they located (Suspect) and his car within an hour of the shot. (Suspect) fired the bullet by the outdoor classroom, which sits near the center of ECSU’s campus.
WAVY.com spoke to ECSU Campus Police Chief John Manley about the incident. Manley said (Suspect) came across another student in the outdoor classroom shortly before 1 p.m. Manley said the two knew each other and had a previous dispute that dated back a few months ago. According to Manley, (Suspect) confessed he fired a gunshot into the ground near the student.
“His words were to us, directly, were that he fired a warning shot,” Manley said.
Manley said the incident was isolated and campus police responded quickly. He said the call came in at 12:57 p.m. and an alert was sent out three minutes later.
However, there have been discrepancies. Some students said they received the alert around 1:10 p.m. A campus news release said an emergency alert was sent out to campus at 1:14 p.m. WAVY.com is working to determine exactly what time the initial alert was sent to students and staff.
(Suspect)’s bond has been set for $156,000, and he is held in Albemarle District Jail.
Strangely, the suspect in this case doesn’t have any conviction records in the NC DOC database either.
So there you have it. At least this time the gun grabbers are only including actual on campus incidents, unlike the previous time where they included drive by shootings near campus. But do any of these situations sound like Columbine? Newtown? No. They sound like ordinary crime that happened to occur on school grounds.
Why do these people think that the magic line between “school” and “not school” repels crime? Is there something that makes people believe that the presence of people learning things prevents crime? If anything, these incidents point to the need for expanded concealed carry on school campuses. The magic line doesn’t stop criminals from bringing guns, much less stop them from committing crimes. So why is it that the gun haters want to keep the law abiding from carrying a firearm for self defense? Why do they need to keep us disarmed and helpless?