Old friends make an appearance
When I used to live in Pennsylvania, I got my start in pro-rights activism with PAFOA. One of the local guys who cast a
long wide shadow was Bill Grumbine, an open carry activist. He was well regarded, mostly because he was a great guy to be around.
Via Dead Man Dance
comes this video where Bill makes an early appearance.
Heeding God’s Call is apparently an Astroturf group paid by Furious Mike’s Illegal^
Guns. They stand outside gun stores and make asses of themselves trying to force the owners to sign a code of conduct that is plainly illegal if followed.
1. Videotaping the Point of Sale for All Firearms Transactions. Participating retailers will videotape the point-of-sale of all firearms transactions and maintain videos for 6 months to deter illegal purchases and monitor employees.
2. Computerized Prime Gun Trace Log and Alert System. Mayors Against Illegal Guns will develop a computerized system that participating retailers will implement over time to log crime gun traces relating to the retailer. Once the program is in place, if a customer who has a prior trace at that retailer attempts to purchase a firearm, the sale will be electronically flagged. The retailer would have discretion to proceed with the sale or stop the sale.
3. Purchaser Declaration. For sales flagged by the trace alert system, participating retailers will ask purchasers to fill out a declaration indicating that they meet the legal requirement to purchase the firearm.
4. Deterring Fake IDs. Participating retailers will only accept valid federal- or state-issued picture IDs as primary identification. Retailers will utilize additional ID checking mechanisms.
5. Consistent Visible Signage. Participating retailers will post signage created by the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership to alert customers of their legal responsibilities at the point-of-sale.
6. Employee Background Checks. Participating retailers will conduct criminal background checks for all employees selling or handling firearms.
7. Employee Responsibility Training. Participating retailers will participate in an employee responsibility training program focused on deterring illegal purchasers. The Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership will create an online training system based on Wal-Mart´s training program.
8. Inventory Checking. Participating retailers will conduct daily and quarterly audits. Guidelines will be based on Wal-Mart´s existing audit procedures.
9. No Sales Without Background Check Results. Participating retailers would prohibit sales based on “default proceeds,” which are permitted by law when background check has not returned a result within 3 days.
10. Securing Firearms. Participating retailers will maintain firearms kept in customer accessible areas in locked cases or locked racks.
#1 and #2 are just an attempt to make a parallel gun registry, and would require opening the Gun Trace records to MAIG, which violates the Tiahrt Amendment. #9 would allow the FBI to stop all gun sales in the US by turning off the NICS system. A lot of what they are demanding will have the effect of raising costs and making firearms retailers less profitable. For many gun stores, that means going out of business. For MAIG and HGC, that’s a feature, not a bug.