Donations for the Ammo Budget
“Like” me on Facebook
- Episode 176 – So Long and Thanks for all the Downloads
- GunBlog VarietyCast Radio Episode 175 – ‘Twas the ‘Cast Before Christmas
- GunBlog VarietyCast Radio Episode 174 – What Caliber for Taylor Swift’s Husband?
- GunBlog VarietyCast Radio Episode 173 – Too Many Acronyms
- GunBlog VarietyCast Radio Episode 172 – Vacuums Suck
Monthly Archives: May 2011
So it looks like the Coalition to Stop Gun
Violence Ownership has gotten back the keys to their Twitter account. In less than 45 minutes they’ve managed to use it in to display their ignorance of the NFA laws.
They link to a CNN story that points out what almost every gun owner knows already, that local Sheriffs will arbitrarily refuse to sign NFA forms.
The CNN story even has a BATF spokesperson lying, so I guess I shouldn’t be so hard on CSGV
Teresa Ficaretta with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives calls this financial planning feature a “positive” use of trusts but says her agency is closely tracking the use of these devices.
“The lack of background check, that is of concern,” Ficaretta said, adding that her group has seen a meteoric rise in interest and applications.
They actually pay this person to speak to the public? Or is CNN misquoting her? The BATF spends something like 6 to 9 months looking at a person before they approve a transfer of an NFA item, so pretending that there is a “lack of background check” is wrong to the point of malfeasance.
Last September a Franklin County man was shot and killed, his shooting causing a fiery crash at a gas station. Now the DA is considering a plea bargain from First to Second Degree Murder.
The accused killer of a Franklin County man, who has been charged with another crime while in jail, might never go to trial if he and prosecutors reach a plea deal.
(Suspect) was charged with first-degree murder, but Montague said the district attorney’s office informed him they are working on a plea deal. (Suspect) would plead guilty to second-degree murder, which does not carry a life prison sentence.
“I cannot get my son back. Our family will never see him again,” Montague said. “Therefore, I think he should never see his family again.”
I have a hard time disagreeing with the father. Especially considering that the suspect was already a convicted felon.
The only good thing that happened out of this is the actions of Jason Cox. Back when the shooting happened, Cox, a Franklin County Magistrate, happened to be working across the street. When the mortally wounded victim crashed his still moving car into a gas station, the Magistrate rushed in to save the day.
Franklin County magistrate helped avert numerous injuries Monday after a wounded driver plowed into a gas pump and set off a fireball, police and witnesses said.
You can see him in this security camera video
Well done on the Magistrate’s part.
At a certain point you start to wonder if a person can ever be trusted in free society.
Police have arrested a man they say stole $30,000 worth of designer clothes from a south Charlotte boutique last week.
Around 3:30 a.m. Friday, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police responded to a burglary alarm at Monkee’s, a women’s boutique on Colony Road near SouthPark mall.
When officers arrived, they found the store’s front door smashed by a large rock and clothes scattered on the floor inside, police said. An employee told police two racks of designer clothes worth $30,000 were missing.
The guy that they caught is a Habitual Felon. He’s 51, and he’s been in trouble since 1982. Maybe it’s time to just close the cell door on this one.
You remember the guy who is accused of murdering someone only 45 days after getting out of prison, right? Well it looks like his accomplice turned himself in.
Early Tuesday, police said, 22-year-old (Suspect #2) contacted police to speak with homicide detectives.
After he spoke with detectives, (Suspect #2) was also arrested and charged with first-degree murder and robbery with a dangerous weapon.
The accomplice wasn’t a felon, but he was convicted of drug and paraphernalia possession only a year ago. Now he’s facing much bigger charges.
Here’s a hint. So many of these murders are drug related. If you avoid the drugs, you might avoid the murder as well.
The Charlotte Observer would have us believe that a 17 year old is responsible for shooting another person in a park!
A 17-year-old is in jail while the man he’s accused of shooting at a northwest Charlotte park last week remains in critical condition at an area hospital.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police responded Friday afternoon to L.C. Coleman Park off Beatties Ford Road after they received a report of shots fired.
We all know that is impossible! First off, a person must be 21 years old to buy a pistol, and also 21 to receive a NC Concealed Handgun Permit. At 17, he’s not even old enough to legally purchase a rifle! So clearly this crime is impossible. Second, the location of the shooting is LC Coleman Park, a Mecklenburg County park. According to their rules and policies, (PDF)
SECTION 29: No person except duly authorized local, State or federal law enforcement officers, and duly authorized County employees or officers shall carry, possess or discharge any type of firearm, explosive device, air guns of any description (BB guns, paintball guns, pellet guns etc.), or bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slung shot, sling shot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, metallic knuckles, razor, shurkin, stun gun, or deadly weapon as defined in the North Carolina General Statutes within any park unless authorized by permit issued by the Director.
So someone please explain to me how they can possibly believe that this crime has actually occurred. Of course, there is a different interpretation. It’s possible that there exist a class of people who will murder you, even if they have to break a whole bunch of laws in order to do it. Maybe it’s time to end this “no guns in parks” farce once and for all.
Oh, yeah. The accused is under 18, so there are no public records on anything criminal he might have done in the past. The victim, however, is not exactly pure as the driven snow.
So the guy who is accused of murdering Mr. No Great Loss has been captured.
Police arrested a 34-year-old Raleigh man this morning and charged him with first-degree murder in Tuesday’s shooting death of (Victim), authorities said.
Well surprise, surprise, surprise. The alleged shooter isn’t clean himself. Drugs, Receiving Stolen Vehicle, Assault With a Deadly Weapon Inflicting Serious Injury. It’s all here.
Criminals killing criminals. Leopards don’t change their spots.
Correlation does not imply causation
The violent crime rate for Raleigh and Cary decreased 13 percent and 9 percent respectively from 2009 to 2010, according to FBI figures released Monday.
The FBI’s annual Preliminary Annual Uniform Crime Report shows that the total number of violent crimes – murder, rape robbery and assault – dropped from 132 to 120 Cary during that time period, and from 2,001 to 1,740 in Raleigh. In both cities, the drop in violent crimes exceeded the national average of 5.5 percent and the 7.5 percent drop in the South
I’m not saying that this caused a drop in crime, but in June 2010, the SBI reported 195,553 active Concealed Handgun Permits in the State. As of a few weeks ago that number is now above 224,000. More concealed carriers does not necessarily mean less crime. But the fact that there is less crime and more people carrying sure busts a hole in the theory that more concealed carriers will lead to more violent crimes.
NCGV, are you listening?
SB560, the NC Sport Shooting Range Protection act has passed the NC Senate and is off to the House.
This afternoon, SB 560: “Sport Shooting Range Protection” passed out of the North Carolina Senate by a vote of 36-13.
Since HB650 is still in committee, it might be a good idea to email the committee members to let them know that you would like to see it pass. GRNC makes it easy to send email to the various committee members. Check the link above to make your voice heard.
Recap from the previous post on this story, man walks into pizza place in north Raleigh, asks for the owner, and shoots him dead. Now he gets his first day in court. We already knew his convictions. We just didn’t know the rest of what he did. Now it’s all coming out.
The parents of a 14-year-old girl who was shot six years ago by a man now facing a first-degree murder charge in the shooting death of a Raleigh pizza store owner said Monday that they believe the justice system failed them.
(Suspect), 43, of 7308 Great Laurel Drive, was charged with four counts of attempted murder after he fired an assault rifle into a car full of teenagers in August 2005, striking Amber Parker. Police said the shooting followed an argument over a football game.
Watch this video and tell me if you agree with the mother that had this been handled properly, he wouldn’t have been free to murder the pizza shop owner.
NBC17 has this
When Pam Taylor-Parker heard about Jay Ammeri’s murder, she recalled her daughter’s struggle after being shot by Edwards.
“We took the bullet that was removed from her and had it placed into a setting,” said Pam Taylor Morris.
And to this day, her daughter Amber wears that bullet around her neck as a reminder of her close brush with death.
Leopards don’t change their spots.